Old December 31st 03, 10:54 PM
Larry McMahan

Default Finally A Breakthrough....I think :)

Zucca4 writes:

: Questions:

: 1. Which boob do I give him? The one nearest the matress whilst on my side or
: the one on top? I have biiiiiiiig boobs so both are feasible I suppose.
: Actually could someone describe in detail the nursing whilst laying down
: position? Pillow placement, ways to make it more comfortable for me,etc?

Monika could not manage the top breast until the baby was 7 or 8 weeks.

: 2. Am I supposed to be burping him? It would defeat the purpose to have to
: rouse him from sleep for this?

I think it is ok to burp him while your are awake when you switch breasts.
I would NOT recommend waking up to burp him. :-)

: 3. Does such a long sucking period harm his palette or mouth formation in any
: way?

No.

: 4. Could he actually have been getting milk for that long a time or was it just
: comfort sucking?

You can produce a fair amount of milk in 4 hours, although it won't come down
continously at the same rate. I would guess that there were a number of
periods of both comfort sucking and getting milk. BTW, this kind of nursing
is the best thing you can do to improve your supply. You should throw the
formula away and use this method when in doubt! :-)

: 5. Is his laying flat on his back with his head turned on its side to my breast
: for so long ok for him, will he strain anything?

Hmm. We always found it easier for both mom and baby to lie on thier sides
facing each other. Whatever works for you.

: 6. What are the SIDS stats for nursing like this? He is beneath me in the sense
: that my head is on my pillow with my hands tucked under it on my side and my
: boob is hanging down so that he, at my stomach level, can latch. I tried to
: cradle him in my arms on my side but it seemed impossible. While this seems
: like progress, it's not worth it if it could be dangerous.

In the first place, some SIDS studies have shown that co-sleeping reduces the
incidence. I'm not sure where the pillow is relative to him, but you might want
to lose it if you can sleep without it. Finally, you don't want a blanket up
over his body that he can bury his face in. He should probably be in a one
piece sleeper. If you do all that he is probably safer than in a crib.

: Thanks so much for taking the time to read this,
: lisa

Hope this helps,
Larry