Old November 15th 05, 03:23 AM
Jeff

Default Inconsiderate drivers and kids who walk to school

"shinypenny" wrote in message
ups.com...

Hillary Israeli wrote:
In . com,
shinypenny wrote:

*I went to the URL you posted, and just one nit: not all states have a
*yield to pedestrian rule. In PA (at least when I lived there years ago)
*pedestrians must yield to traffic. Where I live now we do have a yield
*to pedestrian rule. When I first moved here, it took me a long while to
*get used to that. :-)

That was not true when I got my PA drivers' license in 1986, and it is
still not true.

From the PA state drivers' manual:

-Yield to pedestrians crossing at intersections or in crosswalks.
-When approaching a stopped car from behind, slow down, and do not pass
until you are sure there are no pedestrians crossing in front of it.
-Right turn on red means STOP, LOOK in all directions, and then turn when
it is safe. Look for pedestrians, and allow ample time for them to clear
the crosswalk.
-Be extra attentive when driving at night or durin gother periods of
reduced visibility. Keep your windows fog and frost free. Even with good
visibility, pedestrians are less conspicuous than vehicles.
-Always reduce speed when passing children. You must observe school zone
speed limits and stop for school buses when red signals are flashing.
-Be patient with elderly pedestrians. Usually they need extra time to
cross a street.
-Before backing, always check for pedestrians in your path.
-Be especially considerate to pedestrians with disabilities.
-Yield the right-of-way (stop if necessary) to blind pedestrians, whether
they have a white cane or a dog or are led by others.

http://www.dot10.state.pa.us/pdotfor...section_10.pdf

--
Hillary Israeli, VMD

That's incredibly bizarre! I got my license in PA in 1982, and I don't
remember anything like this in the manual I studied. And when I went to
college in PA and there was no such rule, or at least it sure *seemed*
there wasn't!! It was annoying because as a pedestrian you pretty much
took your own life in your hands, since cars would not stop... it would
take a mass of pedestrians moving together across the walk, before the
cars would bother to stop. And then, it was a rolling stop... all this,
in a college town with lots of pedestrians.

I always laugh when people say that Boston drivers are the worse.
Philly drivers are FAR worse than any driver I've seen around here in
MA! LOL! Just take a cruise on the Sure-Kill... ;-)

New York and New Jersey drivers are the worst I have seen. I have driven in
Boston and Southern California as well, and they are not nearly as bad as
NYC and New Jersey drivers. Philly drivers are not that bad. I was in Philly
just two weeks ago and lived there for 8 years (1987 to 1995).

I do wish the government would do what they do in England, and enforce the
road laws very strickly and have real strick requirements for getting a
license, like very intense tests. That would, IMHO, cut down on the death
rate for drivers, which is way too high compared to what it should be. And I
would start by making it illegal to use a cell phone while driving
(including hands-free).

But that's just me.

Jeff
jen