Old July 8th 03, 10:59 PM
me again

Default teaching manners

With my dd's when they want something, if they say "I want chocolate
milk,"
I reinforce that they need to use their asking words.. so then they'll say
"Please can I have some chocolate milk?" Its taken a bit of repetition on
my part, and I feel a little annoying, but as of late, I hardly ever have

remind them to use asking words instead of telling words.
As for interrupting, it seems like we've been working on that forever, and
my 4 1/2 year old just yesterday said, "sorry for interrupting, but
Mommy..." which was more polite than just speaking over me, right?
I'd say you just have to be consistent about what you expect him to do.

And
be patient.

If our DSs say "I want ...." or just "I'm thirsty" we reply with an "oh do
you?" or "that's a shame" etc. Only when they ask do we get it and if they
forget the please they are reminded. DS#1 is 9 now and has good manners when
he remembers. DS#2 is 5 and has excellent manners amost all of the time.
DS#1 has always been much worse at remembering stuff like that.

Jane