Old July 21st 06, 05:23 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Default Breastfeeding challenges

ght time feeding? I haven't mastered
the knack of laying on my side to feed, but will practice that. She
had oral aversion issues initially due to the ventilator, so we were
less worried about nipple confusion and more about her just taking
something.

I agree with Patty. Is there a reason that she needs to be fed during
the night?
She was a good weight when she was born. Has she had trouble
maintaining weight, staying hydrated?
I can see how being in the NICU and being cared for by people who
typically need to get
as much food into teeny tiny babies as possible would tend to stress
the same with an average sized infant but is it necessary?
Her feeding pattern during the day is typical of a baby who is 'tanking
up' to sleep for a while.

She's been through a lot, YOU have been through a lot. Unless there is
a reason to wake her, why not let sleeping babies lie?

Of course if she needs to feed it's a different story. Have you tried
getting comfy laying down or sitting in a recliner and just letting her
nuzzle until she decides she wants to nurse?
Even Lucy being an older infant without challenges sometimes does
better just hanging out with the breast for a few minutes when she is
sleepy before she really latches on.