Old July 21st 06, 07:56 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
PK

Default Breastfeeding challenges

cjra wrote:
PattyMomVA wrote:

Hmmm. I thought I was supposed to wake her if she slept more than 3
hrs, and I'd read that longer than that was a sign of not taking in
enough (altho that seems counter intuitive to me). My concern with
letting her go too long is that the one time we did (during the day at
the hospital following an NG feed), she was *too* hungry to feed.
That's when we started with the syring feed just to calm her before she
was ready to latch.

If your DD is sleeping for 4-5 hours at a time, you can ask her doctor
if that's OK or not. Most kids will let you know before they get to the
"too hungry to feed straight" stage. but if you are worried becasue of
A's special issues, do confrim with her Ped first.

I was told to wake E every 2 hours too, but that was because she still
could not regulate her temperature well, and I had to make sure she was
warm enough. Plus we (her Ped and I ) were hoping that the more she
fed, the more she would poop and therefore the faster she would lower
her bilirubin levels. To wake baby up, I would undo her swaddling and
change her diaper. That usually woke her up.

Question - if I do that, what do I do about me? My breasts fill up
during the night (I was pumping every 3 hrs since day 1, but had slowed
to 5 hrs at night, til they ran out of my EBM and I upped production).
Now I'm afraid if I don't pump when she doesn't feed - 1. my breasts
hurt like hell, but 2, I won't have any EBM if she does need it.

You could still pump, but don't wake the baby unless baby needs to
feed.

She's definitely gone through that many in 24 hrs, but most are poopy
rather than just wet, though she did have 2 wet ones. Her poop these
last few days has been yellow, but mucousy, whereas the first week or
so of her getting EBM it was yellow and grainy.

Sounds normal.

HTH

PK