Old March 20th 04, 12:27 PM
Jrogold

Default Co-sleeping=more night wakings???

First I want to thank everyone for their replies. Sorry I have been
missing in action, family in town.

In general, if there was an area that I felt that I had not suceeded
with the kids, it was because sleep is such a loaded issue. Again, we
did what we had to in order to get sleep as a family. My efforts will
be to get the number 2 to sleep better in his own space (we have the
arms reach co-sleeper) without the tears. (Wish me luck). He already
sleeps better without me "on top" of him than DS#1 does now at 4 years
of age. Temperment is quite different. Thanks Joshua Levy, I will be
reading those articles. I know I am posting in a slanted environment
(mostly because it makes me feel better that I am not alone in my
choices :-) but I am interested in a rounded discussion.

Jrogold

"Nikki" wrote in message ...
Jrogold wrote:

So do you think co-sleeping children wake more?

First let me just say my #1 sounds just like yours and my #2 sounds just
like yours too :-)

I think co-sleeping *increases the likelihood* that a baby will nurse more
frequently during the night and/or for a longer time. IRL there are all
kinds of outcomes though.

I think co-sleeping greatly increases the likelihood that a child will be
much older before spending the entire night in their own rooms, in their own
beds, without a parent. There are of course plenty of exceptions out there
:-)

#1 needed to be held all the time from the get go and reverse cycled so he
was a lost cause ;-) In my heart I really believe that if I would have
committed to crib sleeping with #2 he would have slept through and quit
night nursing (or at least been down to a couple times) before 12mo. I
didn't do that of course ;-)

Now...#1 will be 5 next month. In the last three months he has started to
lay down and fall asleep while I was in the next room and he'll spend the
whole night in his bed about 15% of the time, the rest of the time he'll
come in with me after 5-6 hrs. I sit with #2 until he falls asleep. He
spends 3-4 hrs in his bed and then comes into bed with me.

Getting them both to stay in their own beds would probably be possible but
not easy on them. I have given nudges here and there to get to this point
but I'm not bothered by the current set up so I'm just going to let them
grow out of it from here.