Old September 5th 07, 04:22 PM posted to rec.scouting.issues,alt.education,misc.education,misc.kids,talk.politics.misc
David Johnston[_2_]

Default On the playground of a northern Colorado Springs elementary school, tag is not "it."

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 07:54:11 -0500, Texan wrote:

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:31:43 -0700, deezknutz
wrote:

On Aug 30, 11:45 am, "Stephanie" wrote:
"Fred Goodwin, CMA" wrote in glegroups.com...

On the playground of a northern Colorado Springs elementary school,
tag is not "it."

http://www.gazette.com/articles/scho..._article.html/
games_tag.html
http://tinyurl.com/2n5ksw

Springs elementary gives tag a timeout
By BRIAN NEWSOME
THE GAZETTE
August 29, 2007 - 4:05PM

The touch-and-run game and any other form of chasing was banned this
year at Discovery Canyon Campus' elementary school by administrators
who say it fuels schoolyard disputes.

"It causes a lot of conflict on the playground," said Assistant
Principal Cindy Fesgen. In the first days of school, before tag was
banned, she said students would complain to her about being chased or
harassed.

Fesgen said she would hear: "Well, I don't want to be chased, but he
won't stop chasing me, or she won't stop chasing me." - hide quotes -

This seems like a lovely teachable moment on how to get along like decent
people.

I'm surprised at your response here Steph!!! 8-O
Especially for a cerebral woman like yourself. (no sarcasm intended
here, at all) How can you learn to work through conflict by removing
the possiblity of it? I'd find it more valuable for my child to face
a conflict and *choose* to resolve it amicably rather than coasting
along never excercsing personal restraint. Interested in your
thoughts...........

My unasked for thoughts. If I were the parent of the bully, who took
others lunch money, beat offenders on their way home from school etc.
I might consider those ideas to be wonderfull. If however I was the
parent of the kid who constantly had his lunch money stollen and
constantly came home from school injured by a bully I would feel quite
differant;y.

I'm not sure how banning "tag" would prevent that.