Old June 30th 03, 11:42 AM
illecebra

Default News and a 5 yr. old

The world isn't always pretty. If you're prepared to watch the news
WITH your child and help them understand what they see, I don't see a
problem with it. I was always up on current events around that age,
and I believe that discussing them with my folks helped me think
analytically about the world. Then again, I ended up starting
politics at age 9 so be prepared if your kid wants to change what they
don't like. (I had many good experiences doing so, but a few
not-so-great ones too. Such is life.)

That said, I won't watch the news when my son is awake, simply because
it's a bit emotional for me right now (my husband is deployed to Iraq
indefinitely), and I don't want the munchkin (4 months old) to have to
deal with me if I end up in a bad mood. When the deployment is over,
the news will likely be a part of family life again.

just my two cents, and that's about all it's worth

Susan

In on Sun, 29 Jun
2003 15:06:02 EDT, Spiralmoons wrote:

I have read on here a few times that there are parents who don't watch the
news while their kids are in the room. Can I ask why? I have no formed
opinion on it and now that my ds is of the age (5) where he watches things
and can relate them to his life, I wonder if our house should do the same
(not watch news in front of the kids). Then again I don't want him to be
totally ignorant of current events, or is he too young to be exposed to the
awful things that can happen. So, again, can someone explain why they do
this or why they don't? So I can make a good decision before I start staying
up 'till 11:00!
Maybe I should just subscribe to the paper again! LOL!