Old May 18th 04, 01:29 AM
Jennifer and Robert Howe

Default Midwives and my birth/story

Jill,
I ended up pushing for 6 or 7 hours I can't remember so I can understand.
that was too long to push I remember asking for a c-section like 2 hours
into pushing.

Jennifer
Ariana 8/17/03
home.earthlink.net/~soalus

"Jill" wrote in message
om...

"Elfanie" wrote
There are nice and respectful and competent
OB's...and there are doofus OB's who have no business practicing.
Same for midwives. (same for doulas!)

I understand your frustration at your postpartum treatment...and I'm
sorry that your care providers haven't been more supportive. As for
your labor and delivery - other than not being fast enough calling
anesthesiologist for you, I'm not sure what else you think they could
have done?

Oh, I do want to point out-- even after my experience, I don't think these
are horrendous midwives. They told me that I am one of few that have even
been turned over to an OB. I believe that. Since they accept only low risk
pregnancies. That is exactly the point, aside from the pain relief what

do
I think they could have done for me. I honestly and truly believe that in
my case, that's ALL they could have done better for me, is to call the OB
sooner (4 hours was too long to push esp. w/o pain relief, since I had

pain
relief as an important part of my birth plan), and to not let the epidural
wear off. I don't fault the midwives for anything else, except the
postpartum time when they kept bringing up "anxiety" "because you're on
Paxil" etc. That was pretty crude. But other than that, honestly, I thnk
these midwives are ok, just in hindsight, definitely not the best choice

for
me-- but we can't know that ahead of time. They were SUPER for my prenatal
appointments.

So really I am upset the most that they emphasized at my appointments that
they fully support pain relief and emphasized they are willing to give

each
individual woman as much pain relief as she chooses to make her labor
comfortable...then, they didn't! And actually, it blew me away when they
called the anesthesiologist in and THEN told her not give me as much as I
had last time . (The anesthesiologist wouldn't abide that though, because
she said she may as well give me nothing then as it wouldn't be

effective. )
My mom ran in to the anesthesiologist in the hallway, and asked her how I
was and she said I was "not a happy camper", she could tell I was in pain.

I still do appreciate my prenatal appointments. And the time they spent

with
me.

Jill