Old October 11th 05, 11:40 PM
Gorgon Park

Default Pumping for preemies

Hi. I mostly lurk here, but I am trying to help my sister-in-law and
I feel over my head, so I thought I would ask here.

My sister in law gave birth to twins 2 weeks 3 days ago at 26.5 weeks
gestation. They were born via c-section because of an incompetent
cervix. The babies are holding their own and are now above birthweight
(which was 1 lb 12oz for one and 1 lb 14oz for the other).

She is pumping every three hours and is getting about 12oz in a 24 hour
period. The babies are now taking 12 oz in a 24 hour period. So she
needs to increase her output.

She is taking fenugreek caplets and drinking nettle tea. I have told
her about the PumpMoms group, but I am unsure if she has checked it
out. I will ask if she is still seeing the LC at the hospital. Is
there anything that an LC would be able to advise her on at this point?

Other than that, is there anything else she may be able to do to
increase her supply enough to provide exclusive breastmilk for these
babies?

Thanks for any advice,
Stacey