Old October 17th 05, 10:28 PM
Mum of Two

Default Irvings fire editor over breastfeeding cover

"Cocoamum" wrote in message
Mum of Two wrote:

You know, I think I've figured out why people have a problem with photos
like this, and breastfeeding in general. It can't be the breast - there
isn't even any nipple showing, and you can see more breast at the beach.
think it's because our culture is so squeamish about body fluids. I think
the mere idea that there is a body fluid transfer going on that upsets
people with this problem.
It's a step away from wearing Michael Jackson-like gloves and masks and
putting blankets over your children.

What about blood transfusion - is that a problem as well?

There's bodily fluid and then there's bodily fluid. I certainly
distinquish. (the nice and the yucky)

That's the thing, I think a lot of people don't distinguish. Perhaps it's
tied in with a wider fear of the spread of germs? Spraying everything with
disinfectant etc? I'm sure a lot of people have huge issues with blood
transfusion too.
Once you have children, you soon realise that you can't stop them catching
every little bug that comes along. Children drool all over things, and put
everything in their mouths. I think most parents cease to worry about the
things that are mildly yucky but don't pose any real threat after a while.
As an observation, *most* of the people who have publicly voiced opinions
against NIP recently seem to be childless. That isn't to say that everyone
who is childless has a problem with NIP, but perhaps in general terms if
you're childless you're more likely to have a different perspective of
germs/bodily fluids?

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,