Old September 14th 03, 03:42 AM
Karen Askey

Default Solids and picky eaters When do solids become necessary?

In article , Alphawave
writes:

Now, about this idea of a window of opportunity for introducing different
tastes and textures -- I've heard this too, but is there evidence that
babies who breastfeed exclusively past a year end up being picky eaters?

I don't know if there is any evidence for this, just anecdotal, I would
imagine. I know plenty of picky eaters and most of them were on formula, but I
don't know many people over the age of 3 that were *not* fed formula around
here.

I can tell you that DS eats just about anything from eggplant to olives to
mangoes and beyond but his favorite is still McDonald's french fries. But DH
and I are not really picky eaters. DH could probably stand to eat the same
thing (chicken and rice, mostly) several meals in a row more than I could, but
I try to put a variety into our weekly dinners.

My nephew is an extremely picky eater, with less than about 20 items that he
will eat. He's 10 now and his mom will still make him a separate plate for
each meal if he isn't in the mood to eat what the rest of the family is eating
(!!!!).

Ok, enough rambling. I'm interested if anyone has anything more substantial
than anecdotal evidence, too.

koa
Still nursing James, 02/06/01
EP'ing for Joey 04/02/03 (BCP)