Old March 21st 06, 11:44 PM posted to misc.kids

Default Earliest Memories Remembered During Adulthood

Sidheag McCormack wrote:
Radium writes:

Are there any sound that bring back your infantile memories.

No, curiously - my earliest memories are silent-film like, with the sense
of communication but no actual sound. Of course, from the age of 3 or so
I remember sounds.

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003

Well, in my case, the memories are mostly visual, but certain
songs/sound are what bring back those memories best. Last summer and in
the summer of '96, I visited the outside of my old house in Stamford.
The house did not really bring back much memories, because I have grown
a lot since the time we were living the, so the house looked very
different to me. In addition, visual stimuli is rather poor at causing
flashbacks. Usually sounds and smells are the best manners at which
memories are triggered. Most of my memories of that house are highly
emotional and involve an extremely psychdelic and surreal feel, much
like that of outer space and paranormal activity. No negative feelings
in those memories. They are certainly strange but all positive.

My ultimate dream would be to take myself back the time I was in
Stamford and keep myself withing that timeframe, rountinely
experiencing those lovely memories in physical reality. Sadly, thats
not possible given the state of today's technology. I guess the best
way for me to re-experience Stamford is to listen to those favorite
sounds/songs of mine. LOL.

Long-term memory has two components. One is the sensory-discriminative
component [i.e. ability to see what happened in the past through those
memories]. The other is the affective-motivational component [the
emotional affects of -- association with -- those memories]. AFAIK, the
affective-motivation component usually starts earlier in life that the
sensory-discrimintive component. This probably explains to me why I can
vividly feel those "Stamford" memories of mine but have a hard time
explaining them [even to myself] objectively.