Old October 25th 08, 02:14 AM posted to misc.kids
Banty

Default Babysitters

In article , Kat says...

"Ericka" wrote in message
Kat wrote:

I'm just wondering if $10/hour for this is too much or too little to
offer for the job. I'm going to try and catch her today, or even leave a
note on the door if all else fails. I just would like to be "fair" for
both of us with the amount paid.

I think it's about par for the course, at least around
here and for the older one. I think these things can vary a lot
by region, though. Yes, it is an easy gig, but on the other hand,
it does wipe out a weekend night. Around here, a popular babysitter
or a difficult night to place could run you significantly more than
$10/hour, so I'd go for it if I were looking in my neighborhood.

Best wishes,
Ericka

I wonder, though, what a 12 or 13 year old would have better to do on a
Saturday night... You never know, though.

Oh c'mon. It's time spent at your house watching your kids, rather than
something she'd normally do. That's why people are compensated for their work.

$10/hour would be fairly normal around here, too. And, frankly I'd pay a little
over the going rate to get access to a babysitter right next door if I were you.
A reliable babysitter is gold. That she is 12 or 13 means you have 4 or 3 years
before she gets her driving license. At 16, any more, babysitters go poof.

A friend said they found a babysitter online somewhere, and this was an
adult woman. She charged my friend $10 an hour for their 3 children... And
this friend's children are basically the same age as mine - 2 preschoolers
and an older school aged child.
It does seem to vary from area to area, which seems to make it hard. Most
friends I have with little ones don't hire babysitters - they use friends
and family only.

So you do have friends with little ones? There's another option - trade off.

Banty