Old September 22nd 03, 01:03 AM
Nina

Default Co-sleepers/bedside cots and safety

"Sidheag McCormack" wrote in message
Today is my day for asking questions, hope you don't mind :-)

We're planning on using what is called in the UK a bedside cot, or in US
speak a co-sleeper - i.e. a cot(UK)/crib(US) with one side missing,
fastened to the adult bed along the missing side, the idea being that
adults and baby have their own sleeping space, but it's easy to get the
baby for feeding and put it back afterwards.

Currently we use a duvet on our own bed. If we were fully cosleeping, I
know the advice would be to swap this for sheets and blankets. I'm in two
minds about whether we really should do this anyway. We could, but I

prefer
the duvet, and I suppose I'm not really convinced that a duvet is
significantly more dangerous than the equivalent weight of sheet and
blankets would be. Either way, you have to stop the baby ending up
underneath the covers.

What do any other co-sleeper users do? Any other tips?

Gee, I always kept my regular comforter and just popped the baby right in
the bed with me and my husband. The first few months the babies actually
slept on me, in the crook of my arm. After a while, they moved to the center
of the bed.
For me having separate sleeping space wasnt a problem, since when they were
very tiny they slept literally on my chest.