Old October 31st 05, 08:11 PM
Scott

Default 7th grade woes

The Keatings wrote:
My 12 year old is getting poor grades in school because she doesn't turn in
her homework (class work and tests are fine). The homework organization has
been an issue since forever, and we've tried everything. Any suggestions?

This is such a YMMV thing. My DD (7th grade), for example,
is very self-motivated, and routinely gets her work done in
school, or at home days or weeks before it's due. DS (4th
grade), on the other hand, requires considerable oversight,
far more than DD ever did in 4th grade.

So the question becomes: how much do you want to be involved
in your kid's homework. It sounds like for your 12-yo you
need to ride herd very hard. At our house, this would mean
no socializing, no screentime, no sports until homework is done.
It would mean parents keeping track of homework due-dates,
which in Middle School can be a royal pain.

In the context of the question, what does 'Tried Everything'
mean? When I hear that, I envision a child who has learned
to outwait the parent Our DS is very good at that.

One last thing that might be occurring, although since this
has been an issue forever and you've tried everything, likely
not: what's going on at school? Does she have normal social
interaction for a 7th grader? Does she like her teachers? I
would say "no" answers to those might mean there's a bigger
problem than poor organizational skills.

Scott DD 12 and DS 9