Old November 3rd 05, 03:12 AM
Tom & Sandy Farley Tom & Sandy Farley is offline
Junior Member

Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Keatings
My 12 year old is getting poor grades in school because she doesn't turn in her homework (class work and tests are fine). The homework organization has been an issue since forever, and we've tried everything. Any suggestions?
Our daughter had similar problems in middle school with organization and written homework. It wasn't until 9th grade that we found out that she was severly dyslexic but had compensated so well for it in learning to read that her reading and comprehension were always at or above grade level. The dyslexia testing people were amazed at how well she could read. They identified dysgraphia and disorganization as the components of dyslexia she was least able to compensate for and gave us ideas about how to change that.

I wish we'd had that information in 7th grade when the school insisted she drop her drama class [the only thing she was getting an A in] and in its place have a study hall in which she did almost nothing. I was willing to object to that, but she didn't want us making a big deal out of it.

Tom [DD 26 BA in Theatre Arts, DS 29 video game tester]