Old January 5th 04, 08:39 PM
She's A Goddess

Default Fontanel as Hydration Indicator?

"Zucca4" wrote in message
I've read or heard in various places that a sunken fontanel signifies
de-hydration. Of course my husband and I lightly touch our darling son's
fonatnel throughout the day and of course it feels slightly recessed at

times
and level with the rest of the skull plates at others.

If it was sunken, you'd know simply by looking at it. It is an area of the
head where the skull plates don't meet yet and is normally levelish. That
does not mean level. We had a little baldy of a first child and you could
sometimes see her breathing, or her pulse through her fontanels. When
someone lists it as a sign of dehydration though they really mean sunken.
Think sunken cheeks on prisoners of war pictures you've seen. Not that
dramatic, but nearly.

Over the last four days I have taken a huge leap of faith (with your
encouragement and support) and thrown away the formula I was using as a
supplement.

Yay!

I've been night nursing with great success and it seems like I have
way more milk as a result especially based on what I've gotten from

pumping
(much faster yield, much more). I feel very proud of myself that I've made

it
to today, six weeks, and I really want to go on as long as I can.

More yay! You're doing really great.

Question: our son has many wet diapers and seems content

At least six to eight (or more) wet diapers and you're fine.

(although he's crying
for food less than usual- maybe because he's getting older, maybe because

he's
nursing longer at our night nursings..not sure what do you think?).

His stomach can handle more food at once as he and it get bigger. Also,
you may be noticing his cues before he cries now that you're getting the
hang of things.

I nurse him
on cue and sometimes he stays at the breast for ten minutes sometimes for

half hour.

Sometimes he's a little thirsty and sometimes he's a lot hungry :-)
Remember, you don't always want a six course meal.

However, it is very tempting to offer him a bottle of formula
especially when he's nursed for so short a period and seems too sleepy or

lazy
to go on or when we see that fontanel that seems sunken to our paranoid
first-child parents' eyes

Resist, resist, resist.

Keep coming back with your worries and fears (and accomplishments!),

--
Rhiannon
Mom to M. Girl (28 months) and O. Boy (6 1/2 months)