Old November 3rd 05, 06:00 PM
Dawn

Default Halloween candy

Banty wrote:
In article ,
dragonlady says...
Heck, when I was a kid I can remember a couple of family gatherings
where the grownups got steak off the grill -- and the kids got hot dogs.
I don't mind eating hot dogs, but not while others are eating steak! My
parents would never do that -- they might offer us a choice -- but these
were events where someone else was providing the food, and we had better
manners than to challenge the situation.

Are you sure it wasn't simply because the kids by and large preferred the hot
dogs?

I've done it when kids were very little (probably under 6) because the
kids tend to waste a very good piece of expensive meat. Kids don't eat
much in those types of situations IME. So you give them even a portion
of a good steak (which most kids don't like anyway) and it goes to
waste. Better to waste a cheap hot dog.

I don't think it's something that should be done with an older kid who
would genuinely prefer steak. I certainly wouldn't, say, offer lobster
to the adults but expect my 13 yo son to eat fish sticks (he doesn't
eat meat).

I don't see anything wrong with offerin very small children a
cheaper/more kid-friendly alternative in a group situation. I remember
my sister, who wanted to have kids at her wedding but didn't want to
pay $30 per plate for their dinners, offered young kids chicken nuggets
-- which they all loved and preferred to her gourmet meal for adults.

-Dawn