Old June 3rd 04, 06:00 PM
Nikki

Default Looking for a kid-safe vehicle- recs?

Jill wrote:

He wants to
spend $8000 and not much more.

Since you are not buying new I would go vehicle shopping and find some
various things in that price range you like, then come back and plug them
into this website http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/testing/ncap/ to see how they do
with safety and also with consumer reports. There will be nothing but
frustrations to do it the opposite way (as you are finding out :-).

If that was my budget I'd be looking for safe family cars. You'll get more
bang for your buck then when buying vans or SUV's. IME $8000 vans and SUV's
would barely live out their loans because $8000 will buy a newer car then it
will a van or SUV. By the time you have three kids and need the seating
space an $8000 vehicle will likely need to be replaced anyway unless you
plan on having a baby ever year. Also, if you keep the truck you'll be
thankful you have one vehicle that isn't a gas hog.

If it were me I'd drive the Accord until it dies and by then you may be in a
better position to get exactly what you want. Getting a tide me over vehicle
for $8000 will, IME, delay you getting what you really want by about 7
years. You might get what you really want in 3 years if you can put the
cost of the payment in a savings account to put towards the new one. I'm
not particularly worried about the driving a car in the land of the big
vehicle though and I know that is a bigger consideration for others :-)

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (5) and Luke (3)