Old November 14th 07, 10:05 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

Default IQ and what it means in adulthood

Beliavsky wrote:
On Nov 14, 2:19 pm, Ericka Kammerer wrote:

Hopefully your daughter won't ever stumble on that post.

If I hold the same beliefs 20 years from now, and I if they guide the
advice I give, it would be wrong not to make the beliefs underlying
the advice explicit. For example, hypothetically, if I didn't want my
daughter to pursue a PhD because I wanted her to get married instead,
it would be wrong to discourage her based on a "tough academic job
market" if that were not the real reason. If my beliefs change, so
that my future advice and actions don't depend on my current
philosophy, then what I wrote on Usenet 20 years will be unimportant.

Maybe you and a few others think that if I think the same way 20 years
from now, I ought to leave the parental guidance to her mother (who is
non-ideological). I'll take that under advisement.

That statement says something about the way
you feel about her and her worth as a human being and
her reason for existence *NOW*. It can't help but
color your parenting. It will guide the decisions you
make throughout her life and the interactions you have
with her in millions of tiny ways. I think the issue
is NOW, not 20 years from now.
I didn't get where I am because of how my father
was when I was 20. The parenting gig was pretty much
over by that time.

Best wishes,
Ericka