Old May 22nd 04, 01:51 AM
zolw

Default frustrated with Doctor. Am I rightfullt so? (a bit long, butneedhelp!)

Placenta insufficiency was determined in her first pregnancy. She does
not go into labor & can not get contractions (even after induction). I
am not fully aware of what kind of testing was done to determine her
condition, but she had it in all 3 pregnancies.

Circe wrote:

JoFromOz wrote:

I will talk to the consultant OBs at work about this - I've
honestly never heard of P.I. being more likely in subsequent
pregnancies. I have, however heard of IUGR being more likely, most
probably due to lifestyle factors.

I'm not working again 'till Monday, but I'll get back when I find
out for you.

However, I don't see how seeing two doctors can avoid problems if
there is P.I...

zolw wrote:

That's actually not true. My sister had 3 pregnancies (2 children,
since she lost one of them in the 9th month) & in all 3 cases she
had placenta insufficiency. Actually the doctors (she was seeing 2
doctors at te same time, to avoid having the same problem as with
her unborn child) all agreed that if a woman has placenta
insufficiency once, she is at much higher risk to have it every
time.

And I can't help wondering *how* the placental insufficiency was diagnosed
in the subsequent pregnancy. It's fairly common for doctors to be edgy when
a pregnant woman has had a prior loss at or near term and to recommend early
induction to these patients to "prevent" another in utero death. I'm not
pooh-poohing the idea that placental insufficiency could be the result of a
genetic condition in the mother that runs in the family at all, as that
doesn't sound improbable to me. But I would rather suspect that the two
doctors treating Mona's sister would have been inclined to induce labor in
those subsequent well before any external signs of placental insufficiency
cropped up. Unless Mona's sister's placentas were determined to be calcified
or otherwise abnormal when her babies were born (which may well be the
case), then there's no way to be *certain* she would have experience actual
placental insufficiency in those pregnancies. It would not have been
peculiar, however, for her doctors to have been proactive in trying to
prevent a repeated loss and to claim that "repeated placental insufficiency"
was the reason they were doing it.
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 4), and the Rising Son (Julian, 6)

Aurora (in the bathroom with her dad)--"It looks like an elephant, Daddy."
Me (later)--"You should feel flattered."