Old April 13th 06, 05:10 AM posted to misc.kids

Default Cost of Piano Lessons?

In article ,
Ericka Kammerer wrote:

No idea, but consider group lessons. They might be cheaper, and they might
also be more interesting.

Eh, I'm not a fan of group lessons on piano. You
don't get near enough attention, and the early years are
really important for hand position. It's *really* *really*
hard to break bad habits in hand position.

We are doing group lessons through this mob:

http://www.fortemusic.com.au/frameset00_index.htm

It isn't all piano (for 5yos); they are learning about beats, they sing, dance
and clap, and there was a music activity with two parts yesterday, which is
not uncommon. You can't do that in a class of one. The teacher does inspect
the way they play, and does help with positioning, but it seems to be treated
as a gradual thing. The kids don't move their hands yet; they are only
learning to play notes between C and G atm. My guess is that the keyboard
activities are kept short in an effort to prevent bad positions becoming
habits. But I will bear it in mind!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue