Old April 5th 05, 03:41 PM
Cathy Weeks

Circe wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Sue wrote:
My friend didn't want her 2nd grader reading Sounder because the
dog was killed. Her daughter's temperment was such that she would
be really upset over that. But, she *could* read it.

It's interesting. As a child I had poor tolerance for sad books,

(and
sheepishly admit I still do). So I completely understand this kind

of
'protection' and I did keep upsetting books from my kids when they

were
little. But by about 8 or 10 or so, I stopped.

Oh, goodness, I'm still this way. I will shamelessly admit to never

having
read such classics as _Sounder_, _Old Yeller_, _The Yearling_, _Where

the
Red Fern Grows_, or _Ring of Bright Water_ for precisely this reason.

I have
zero emotional tolerance for sad stories about animals, to such an

extent
that I actually never even got through _Lassie Come Home_ because,

even
though it has a happy ending, I found the middle entirely too sad to

read!

Whooo boy, I'd definitely NOT recommend _Bridge to Terebithia_ for you!
Very good, but very said book. :-)

Cathy