Old July 9th 06, 02:27 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Sarah Vaughan

Default Asked to leave a public pool

A & L Lane wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
snipped..
I think it's time to start a "just say no" campaign... if someone asks
you to move, just say, "No."

If they say, "We need you to go to X location to nurse your baby"

Just say "No."

snipped..

Jenrose

I havent posted in a long while but still lurk every now and again but I
think this is the best piece of advice ever. Our natural reaction is to
explain and convince but maybe just refusing without entering into any
argument at all is the way to go. I really like this approach - I'll never
need it as my bf days are over (and luckily was never ever hassled about
NIP) but will definitely be recommending it to others in this situation.

I agree that trying to explain can be a bad thing. In a subtle way, it
gives people the message that you think you're doing something that
needs explaining, and that gives the opposite message of the one you
intend. I like Jenrose's approach for this reason (although I think
that, as with everything else, it's important to do it politely and not
belligerently).

Another approach that I think is well worth considering is to turn it
around, and, instead of acting as though you thought you needed to
explain, act as though _they_ need to explain. IOW, just try asking
them "Why?" in tones of genuine puzzlement. Probably more useful for
the "When are you going to stop nursing that child?" question, but worth
considering for this sort of situation.

All the best,

Sarah

--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.typepad.com

"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be" - P. C. Hodgell