Old June 22nd 04, 06:28 AM

Default automatic shut-off night light?

In article ,
Hillary Israeli wrote:
In ,
David desJardins wrote:

*Hillary Israeli writes:
* Get an X10 wall outlet, plug a regular nightlight into it, program it to
* be on only during the times you want, and you're all set.
*
* http://www.smarthome.com
*
*I do have some of these, and they make a loud click when turning on or
*off (I think there's a mechanical relay in the unit). It might well be
*loud enough to wake someone, I think. I'd hope the purpose-built
*integrated timers would be quieter.

Really? We use a number of their controllers and don't have any clicking
noises that I've noticed. That's a surprise.

There are two types of X-10 modules: "appliance" have a relay inside and make
a load click. "Lamp" modules use a TRIAC and are usually silent. They
can only be used for incandescent lighting, but can be used to dim the
lights also. For this application, a lamp module would be perfect. You'll
also need a controller - either manual or timer based. (I've seen a
few defective lamp modules which make a very faint 60Hz hum operated in
dimmer mode)

--
Peter Fales
Peter "at" fales-lorenz.net