Old March 15th 05, 12:11 AM
Peggy Tatyana

"Johnniec" wrote:

My 7 yr. old was eating a taco salad at school during lunch, and

choked
on one of the chips. It was stuck in this throat for a few seconds,
then he choked it out. It scared the heck out of him. I happened to
have be there with him when it happened, although I didn't realize it
was happening until just before it was over.

Now he has a fear of choking. He chooses his food based on whether he
thinks he could choke on it. He eats very slowly now. He has lost
weight. He was actually a bit overweight before, so he looks fit now.

suspect that is why others haven't really noticed this problem he is
having.

This has been going on now for a few weeks. I would like advice on how
to help him get over this fear.

Maybe you could explain to him (or have his doctor explain to him) how
his mouth and throat work. Chewing food thoroughly is a good idea, and
the original incident was likely caused by his not chewing the chip well
enough. Give him the feeling that he can be in control of what goes down
his throat not _only_ by choosing soft foods but by chewing well
anything he puts in his mouth. Maybe you can call it a science
experiement -- using foods that he used to enjoy but has been avoiding.

Meanwhile, make sure there's plenty of nutrition in the foods he does
it.

Good luck!

Peggy

--
The Duke showed his lower teeth. "We all have our flaws," he said, "and
mine is being wicked." --James Thurber