Old January 8th 04, 07:47 PM
Cathy Kearns

Default Rant: Over indulgent parents strike again

"Banty" wrote in message
On the other hand, I used to hire a couple of young babysitters (10 year

old
kids who live on my block) to watch my son for an hour or two, provided

that
their parents were in the house too, in case of emergencies (this being
understood with the parents).

So how much do you pay their parents to be "on call"?

When the father of one found that I paid a 22
year old babysitter, who sometimes does overnights, more than his 10 year

old,
he got mad and sent his son for 'the difference'. I sent him back. Dad

called.
I told his Dad that, by design of the babysitting job, his boy takes on
considerably less responsibility than the 22 year old - I'm not relying on

the
10 year old for responsible action in emergencies;

It sounds like you are relying on his parents to be responsible for action
in
emergencies.

he's not on tap to feed my
son; he doesn't have to get him ready for school. So, that was the end

of his
son babysitting. IOW, "no deal".

I offered to be backup when my daughter was younger and was babysitting
friends. However, I would have also been willing to babysit the kids at my
house for free instead. Sure, grown-ups get paid more, but in the case
of the 10 year olds, you did hire grown-ups. If I were you I would look
hard at the responsibility thing. If you are paying less because they
aren't
feeding him, dressing him, or driving him places that's one thing. If you
aren't paying the babysitter as much because they have to depend on their
own parents to backup, then you should also be paying the back up. If
you are paying less because they are watching the kids while you are
busy, but on the premises then that sounds legit.

Banty