Old August 4th 04, 04:16 PM
Mary S.

Default Litter boxes?

Donna Metler wrote:
My husband is going to be out of town for a few days. Is is safe for me to
scoop the litter boxes (indoor-only cats, commercial diet) while he's out of
town, or should I call my petsitter and arrange for her to come by and do it
(which would feel really weird while I'm at home)?

With an indoor cat, if he cleans it really well, you should be fine if
you're sure sure sure to scoop it out every day, preferably twice a day.
If it were me, I'd have DH clean the whole pan and start from scratch
(throw away the litter, wash it out with hot water, put new litter in),
and wash your hands with soap after every scooping. And then I'd still
probably call the sitter, or leave the box to fill up until he got home,
if it's only for a few days (but I'm a wee bit paranoid about TP).

80% of toxoplasmosis infections in humans come from eating rare or
undercooked meat (restaurants are often a culprit, too), not litter
boxes, so make sure your kitchen hygiene is perfect. And don't order
stuff rare when you eat out.

Mary S.