Old December 1st 06, 04:00 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated
Rosalie B.

Default fidgety kids

"Chris" wrote:

Just one comment - well two actually.

I know teachers that are unwilling to do anything extra. They may be
just lazy, or set in their ways, or it may be that they are
overstressed by the climate in the school or by current testing stuff.

This may be where you will have to take charge of the boredom problem
(Does he say that he is bored? - It sounds like he is.) by asking the
teacher how either you or he can help them. Can he tutor the other
students? Can he prepare a presentation for the class? That kind of
thing.

Think of ways that his attention can be engaged in class without any
(or very little) teacher input. Ask him what he'd like to find out
about in various classes. Instead of asking the teachers to give him
extra work, have him suggest extra work that he can do.

[When I was in 6th grade, I found that if the teacher thought I knew
the answer she wouldn't call on me in class. So I could read a book
under my desk with impunity provided that I kept raising my hand to
answer questions. Counterwise, if I really wanted to be called on, I
had to pretend not to be paying attention.]

Jeff wrote:

major snippage
He should also be outside, playing with
his friends, riding his bike, etc., during daylight hours rather than be in
the house.

He is
plenty busy. He doesn't really like too many sports, especially team
sports.

None of his teachers have ever suggested ADD as a diagnosis, but maybe
that's because he doesn't really get in trouble and when a teacher asks

I had one like that.

Given the additional information you've provided, IMH and completely
uninformed O, I don't think that he has ADD either. I think what he
needs is not so much a SPORT as an aerobic activity like swimming or
running or biking on a regular basis. This would be good for his
health and would tend (IME) to calm him down a bit and he could do it
more or less alone.

grandma Rosalie