Old January 11th 06, 10:27 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default Factor V Leiden/Clotting Disorder & Epidural

I was taking heparin throughout my second pregnancy from 6 weeks right up to
the birth and then for 3 days afterwards. The type of low molecular weight
heparin I took was called Fragmin (dalteparin sodium) at a dose of 2500IU /
0.2ml per day - which is considered a low amount.

I had an elective c/s and so had a good chat with the anaesthetist the day
before the op. They told me that with heparin they wouldn't have allowed me
to have an epidural inserted within 24 hours of the last dose of heparin. I
was shocked at this because if I had gone into labour naturally I would have
wanted an epidural as plan B if the pain got too bad (I had had an epidural
with sproglet #1 when I wasn't taking heparin). So my last dose of fragmin
was about 40 hours before the op.

The anaesthetist also said that the epidural catheter shouldn't be taken OUT
within 12 hours of a dose heparin. Apparently it increases the chances of
bleeding into epidural space, which is bad. So I made sure that I had my 1st
post partum heparin shot after the catheter was removed.

Hope this helps !

Peg
DS1 2002
DS2 2005

"Rafael" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I have a blood clotting disorder called Factor V Leiden and I'm 35
weeks pregnant. I've been told that, as a precaution, I ought to have
a Heparin injection prior to delivery and then will need to continue to
inject myself for 6 weeks after our baby is born. I have no problem
with this in itself but I have also been told that I should give plenty
of thought (more so than someone without Factor V Leiden) as to whether
or not I will want an epidural. This is because if I'm going to want an
epidural, I must have it administered before my Heparin injection can
be given to me.

Initially, I wanted to avoid an epidural if I possibly could but was
relaxed in the knowledge that I could change my mind if I wanted to.
Now though, I know that once I've had the Heparin injection, I can't
change my mind at all and an epidural will be out of the question.

I cannot make a decision. Does anyone else out there have similar
experience? I would love to know what you did.

Thanks in advance!