Old July 27th 03, 09:10 PM
Kasey

Default Road Trip with 4 Week Old - Advice Please!

I'm beginning to think that this was a crazy idea. We're leaving on
Wednesday for a 10+ hour road trip with our 4 week old, exclusively
breastfed son. He only sleeps for a maximum of 2 - 2.5 hours at a time, so
this could make for a very long trip! We're going to break the drive up over
two days, but stopping every couple of hours to nurse could make this trip
take double the time it should. Family have been encouraging me to get a
breast pump and introduce our son to a bottle over the next few days so I
can feed him EBM during the trip so we don't have to stop as often. I'm
really torn about this...Is 4 weeks too early to introduce a bottle? Will
this have any affect on his nursing ability? I don't plan on giving him
bottles after this trip - it would only be an extreme rarity. I feel like we
just got nursing established and he's doing really great, so I'm scared to
tamper with a good thing!

Also, I have been adamant about not wanting to give him a pacifier, but am
beginning to wonder if maybe for this trip only it might be a good idea as
he does like to comfort nurse after his feedings. Making this trip with a
baby crying in agony will not only break my heart, but will make for an
excruiciating journey. Anything I can do to make the trip as comfortable as
possible for all of us!

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks so much!