Old January 8th 04, 05:20 PM
Thumper

Default Rant: Over indulgent parents strike again

"Scott in Aztlán" wrote in message
On 8 Jan 2004 07:21:05 -0800, (Cathy Weeks)

wrote:

Jon Walters wrote in message

especially when a 13 year old
wanted $40 to shovel the snow from my sidewalk recently. I
told the kid I'll give him $10 and he walked away. Good. I'll
wait until it melts before I pay that much.

Ah, so you think just because he's 13, he ought to do it for less than
an amount that he considers worth his time?

It has nothing to do with his age. It has everything to do with his own
overinflated opinion of the value of his unskilled labor. $40 for half an

hour's
work? How many years of education and experience does the typical

professional
have to accumulate before he can earn $80/hour?

Shoveling snow is hard work, and it's no fun. And if you contract
with an agency that does stuff like that, they charge $75.

Or you can hire Jose down in front of Home Depot to do it for $10/hour.

I've heard this so many time before...old codgers who think the
neighbor kids owe them labor for cheap.

Wow, talk about your biases coloring your perceptions! Where did you get

the
idea that Jon believes the neighbor kid OWES him ANYTHING? All I saw was
someone who refused to be overcharged for a mindless, menial task

requiring no
skills to perform.

OBTW, I feel that I should be paid $50 for each of your USENET messages

that I
read. I feel that anything less than that is not worth my time. What's

your
address so I can send you my bill?

--
I contribute to charity by not needing it.

I just paid a migrant worker $1000.00 to fix my long suffering roof. No
roofing company's would even consider it. It took franscisco about 4 hours
and about 50.00 in materials. I would have gladly paid him $2000.00.

$40.00 is just not a lot of money, unless your a Republican business owner
trying to keep your workers down so you can make even more money for
yourself.

Thumper.

Thumper