Old May 11th 04, 08:15 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Default Pain

Shannon wrote:

I was reading the very long thread regarding unassisted childbirth and
pain and it got me thinking....

When people say that the pain becomes unbearable, what do they mean
exactly? At what point do you know the pain is unbearable?

My guess is they believe the pain is more than they're
willing to bear, given that there are alternatives available.

Does the pain become unbearable for the mother (ie. you pass out)?

No, you generally don't pass out. It just hurts.

Or does it become unbearable for the baby (ie. they become stressed)?

The baby can become stressed, but I've never heard
of it being because the mother was in pain. There are
times when mom is stressed enough that an epidural allows
mom to relax enough that labor gets back on track.

Has anyone experienced a birth that was unmedicated and you went past
the point where you could have an epidural and it became unbearable?

In many places, there really isn't a time when it's
too late for an epidural unless the baby's out (maybe not
even then, if there's a lot of repair needed ;-) Also,
for many women pushing is not the most difficult part of
labor. Still, I have to say that in three births I never
got to the point where I found it unbearable. It was hard
work, and intense sometimes, but I never found it unbearable
and never felt out of control or panicky.

Best wishes,
Ericka