Old June 8th 05, 05:06 PM
Jayne Ashworth

You may want to talk with other parents who have teens who
have begun to drive in the last year or so: their experiences
may open your eyes. Ones that I remember we negotiated when
DD was learning (and yes, there are a ton, and yes, she was a
really responsible teen, but still: cars can be lethal and
new drivers are sometimes overwhelmed with the multitude of
details that need attention on the road):

pick a radio station before putting the car
into motion and do not change it unless you are
stopped

call anytime for a ride, no repercussions

plan your route before you leave - know where
turns will be, which streets are one-way, etc.

call if you will be late (and this was before cell phones!)

passenger rules:

no passengers for six months

no more than one passenger after six months
(at some time we relaxed this rule to two passengers,
but I think it was after a year; high school rules became
null-and-void when she went to college - no car there,
but when she was home and had occasion to drive, the
rules just seemed not needed ...)

no riding with someone who has less than six
months driving experience

no riding with someone who has more than six
months but less than a year's driving experience
who has other passengers

no riding with someone who has less than two year's
experience and more than two passengers (herself
included)

no driving someone who is drunk (I like designated
drivers, but feel that drunks can do irresponsible
things that can cause even a sober driver to
wreck)

Did she always obey all the rules, especially the
passenger ones? I doubt it, but she knew what they
were and why we had them.

She did an enormous amount of driving before obtaining
her permit but when she first obtained her license
(after driving daily for four months) she was still
inexperienced.

YMMV

Jayne