Old July 12th 03, 01:04 AM
Erin Candell

Default Baby sign language

I have been doing the "baby signs" (Not official sign language, but the
"baby-friendly" version) with my 12-month old for the past few months, and I
am absolutely shocked at how effective it has been. My daughter took to it
almost immediately, and even though she only knows a handful of signs so
far, it has been great. She can tell me when she is tired or hungry long
before she starts to cry and when #2 is born, I am thinking that the signing
will make things less frustrating for everybody.

"andrea" wrote in message
My son Alden is 4 in September. He has Apraxia, which is a speech

disorder.
Progress has been slow on the speech side according to the therapist, but

feel he is doing great compared to how he was.
He had at one point zero understanding. Now his understanding is great for
his age, but he has limited vowels and can't pronounce constanants.

I thought about signing for babies (like for drink), for Joseph and
hopefully Kamron, to help avoid the frustration babies have before they

are
able to talk. I also plan on starting this with Alden, he does speak but
it's not very clear, and we usually guess what he is saying.

Have any of you already started signing for babies/toddlers? How did it

go?

My pack I have ordered says some babies can start signing from 6 months.

It's sounds like it's worth a try, as babies that can sign find speech

comes
more easily. Some people believe signing delays speech, but i'm told this

is
not the case.

--
Andrea mom of -
Peter 7, Ellie 5, Alden 3, Joseph 21 mths & little munchie man Kamron 5