Old July 31st 08, 03:40 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
lu-lu

Default Allergic to dressings

"Welches" wrote in message

"lu-lu" wrote in message
Hi all

Jessica's 2y1m now. Last week, she got a bit of a graze to her elbow, as
kids do! We didn't dress it as there was nothing really to see. However,
she
started picking the scab, and made it worse, to the point where it

really
did need a plaster (don't know if you guys have that word over seas....
the
skin coloured adhesive with a little gauze pad in the middle). She's

never
had one on before, and like me, it turned out she was allergic to it. It
came up in a red, slightly raised area, the shape of the plaster and the
now
bigger cut was weepy and sore. We went to the pharmacist yesterday and
bought a mepore low-allergy dressing. Turns out she's even more allergic
that! Her poor little arm is now blistered and sore, the cut looks awful
and
she's crying because it's so sore...

I've just been out and bought a separate dressing and gauze bandage to
secure it to her arm. I've given her calpol (paracetamol) to help the
pain,
and I've made a doctor's appointment later this evening as I think she
needs
to take something for it... but I'm not sure what. anyone have any
experience on this? Does anyone's kids have similar allergies and if so
what
do you use? a fullblown bandage everytime she gets a cut seems a bit
excessive.

Thanks

Piriton is the usual one for allergies. Makes them drowsy though, so you

may
only want to give it at night.
My mil is allergic to all plasters. She had a minor op one time and came

out
looking like a mummy as they had to use bandages rather than plasters, I'm
told!
However, I'm wondering whether she might have impetigo (sp?). I'd get that
checked at the pharmasy, as it sounds as though it *could* be it, in ehich
case it needs treating asap.
Debbie

Thanks Debbie, I hadn't realised piriton did one for babies. I've just gone
and got some (£4.19 a bottle!! Outrageous! ; ) ) and hopefully that'll have
an effect - should be able to tell as she tried to put the plaster on her
arm and head too, so she has the rash there as well!