Old October 4th 03, 01:25 PM
Donna Metler

Default military schools?

"ColoradoSkiBum" wrote in message

: Well that's just it, he's already in the special ed class for kids with
: "severe emotional disabilities" (they call it SIED here, don't know if
it's
: the same in other states). He's being pulled back in that program so

he's
: not in *any* mainstream classes for a while, and see if he can survive

and
: then earn his way back into regular classes. And like I said, a *huge*
part
: of me is actually *hoping* for failure there because that will mean that
: he'll -- eventually -- be sent to another program which will likely
include
: "day treatment" at the mental health facility that the district works
with.
: All at district expense of course. We don't have the resources to

absorb
: this expense.

You may want to call an IEP meeting. You don't have to wait for the district
to declare your son a failure-you can call a meeting and bring the issue to
the front sooner. If schools in your area are like the district I work for,
there is a real reluctance to increase services, because it increases
expense. In fact, it's gone the other way in the last few years. I have
several children this year who were in at least partially self-contained
positions last year, who are now in the regular class, sink or swim,
regardless of their behaviors. We can see it isn't working-but, the district
will not allow them to be reassigned.

If you do this, get documentation from EACH teacher as to his behaviors.
Often teachers avoid referring special education students to the office
because we KNOW nothing will happen, so why bother? But that documentation
is a potent tool when it comes to getting a child a better placement.

I would, again, suggest a few things

1) Get a third-party evaluation, with a competent child psychiatrist,
neurologist, and possibly a neuropsychological assessment. Third-party
because in general hired guns from the school will not recommend that the
school place a child outside the services they have available. Make sure
they give an assessment as to what services are required-not just to get
your stepson through the school day, but so that he gets the social skills
support he needs.

2) Contact either a Disability Rights Advocate/Special Ed Advocate (a
layperson trained in special education/ADA law and rights-this person has no
legal standing in court but can definitely support you in dealing with the
school. ) Most districts start to cave when an advocate walks in with the
parent. Or, if there is one in your area and you can afford it, a Special Ed
lawyer. (Which may be what it would take to get a school district to pay for
a private residential placement).

: --
: ColoradoSkiBum
:

Oops, maybe I didn't already *say* all that here, getting my newsgroups
mixed up. I posted The Whole Story in a couple of other newsgroups but

not
in this one. Sorry for the confusion.
--
ColoradoSkiBum