Old August 10th 06, 04:00 AM posted to misc.kids
xkatx

Default first day of kindergarten and homework!

"toypup" wrote in message
m...
DS finished the first day of kindergarten yesterday. For his homework, he
had to write his name, color a house, write his address, draw a picture of
someone he wants to talk on the phone with, write his phone number. It
took about half an hour and he was exhausted. Afterward, we were supposed
to read, but I wasn't going there.

I was expecting homework, I thought maybe write one letter of the
alphabet, but this is ridiculous. I told DH and he agreed, saying there
many kids coming into kindergarten not even reading much less writing
addresses. We happen to have a very long address, so it wasn't easy.
Anyway, just venting. Today, there is more homework, but I tried to get
some of it out of the way this morning before school so he is not
overwhelmed after school.

Wow... After reading this and all the replies so far, I am actually
amazed...
DS was in kindergarden last year and 'homework' was reading together - they
sent home log sheets that the parents signed for every book read - or about
10-20 minutes worth of reading.
I didn't really consider this to be homework, as this was, and still is, a
nightly event at bed time here.
I know some children start kindergarden reading and/or printing, and I also
know that some children don't do either when they walk into kindergarden.
DS was one that would point out simple words he knew and he recognized his
name but could not spell it on his own. It was the first day of school that
he came home with some work - can't remember exactly, but probably was a
picture or something - that HE had written his name on, obviously with some
help.
If there was set homework on the first day of kindergarden, or even well
into the year, I would not be alright with this. In kindergarden, as an
early starter even, DS learned to spell and write his name, first and last
(and he has a long last name, but since he just has *my* last name, not
hyphenated with DH's last name like DD's is and mine is now - that's 9
letters HIS last name is compared to 15, what mine and DD's name is) He
knew the alphabet before going into kindergarden, but ended the year with
being able to write it all out, upper and lower case, learned his name in
Ukrainian, could count to I have no idea what, as I normally ask to be
spared come aorund 200 or so lol and can count to 20 in Ukrainian... He
learned his phone number, and that's about it... Other than basic, beginner
math (color 2 apples red, 2 apples green and you have a total of 4 apples or
whatever it may be) Days of the week, months of the year, whatever... Just
the basics, I guess.
I was satisfied with what he learned in a year, and it required no
'homework'