Old September 29th 06, 08:31 PM posted to misc.kids
Welches

Default First birthday party, no gifts?

"Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward" wrote in message
oups.com...
We've just been invited to a first birthday party in Somerville, MA,
and the parents said no gifts.

I feel silly going to a child's birthday party and not bringing a gift.
I wouldn't want them coming to my daughter's party and not bringing a
gift, even if I know it's likely to be something I don't want or need.
It's not about me, it's about the child.

What is the practice where you live?

I've never been to a party that says that for a child. But if that was the
case then I think it would be rude to take a gift. You could end up in the
situation where half the guests bring stuff and then the other half feel
awkward about not bringing stuff. Even if it was just you, it could look
like you were trying to be one up on everyone else.
If you have a problem with that then you could:
1. Ask if you could bring anything to eat/drink/other stuff for the party.
2. Ask if they'd like you to donate to a charity instead
3. Take a photo of their child at the party and send it to them later
4 Give a small gift to the parents (eg a bottle of wine) to "relax
afterwards". But don't wrap it up and make it look too much like a present.
Debbie