Old March 18th 04, 06:58 PM
hobbes

Default What's typical for a 1-year-old?

"Alpha" wrote in message
ink.net...
My son will be 1 next month -- wow! -- and he's still nursing 8x/day, plus
he takes 2 solids meals. I'm wondering how much bf'ing is typical at 1
year. I remember a neighbor telling me that she had her first child
totally weaned by his first birthday, and geez, even if I wanted to do
that, it would be totally out of the question. DS doesn't eat a wide
enough variety of foods for me to consider cutting back on breastmilk.

Also, I plan to let DS wean as he wishes, but I'm curious to know when
babies begin to let go of some feedings. How long will he still be

nursing
8x/day? And which feedings are the first to go?

-- Alpha
mom to Eamon and Quinn

DD is 11 months, and sits in her high chair for 3 meals, plus gets some
snacks. I put her in her chair when DS and I are eating, but she often
consumes very, very little during those times. Snacks are things like
crackers, cheerios, etc, given mid-morning and mid-afternoon. She nurses an
average of 4/5 times during the day, and often as many times at night
(though on my good nights, she only nurses 2 or 3 times).

DS was pretty similar, if I can recall correctly. Neither of my kids really
*asks* (or, in DS's case, asked) to nurse; they just get fussy, and
sometimes a cracker or water helps, other times, it's nursing that soothes
them. With DS, he got to the point around 18 months that other food or
comforting/distraction would suffice, and only needed to nurse at sleep
times, or if he hurt himself. He night weaned at around 20 months, and
weaned entirely (with some pushing from me, as I was 5 months pregnant, but
with very little resistance) at 22 months.

--
Jodi
SAHM to Oliver (3 years) & Arwen (11 months)