Old June 9th 06, 12:48 AM posted to misc.kids.moderated

Default Summer Plans

"Scott L" wrote in message

I think I asked this last year, too, so curious me will ask this
year. What's everyone doing with their kids this summer?

DD(8) has 3 weeks of 1/2 day camps planned: one week of dance camp and
two weeks of musical theater camp. She'll have 1/2 hour swim lessons
twice a week for 6 weeks. And she'll have her gymnastics classes.

Gymnastics is where things get tricky. She takes both rhythmic and
artistic gymnastics (rhythmic uses the ribbons, balls, hoops, clubs and
ropes; artistic uses the balance beam, bars and vault). In rhythmic she
is being pressured to move to the "pre-team". I put "pre-team" in
quotes, because they compete, so I'm not sure why they aren't called
part of the team. She would go from 2/days, 1.5 hours a week to 3 days,
2.5 hours a week, plus her 1.5 hours in artistic gymnastics. After
talking to her coach, I don't think she will be able to stay where she
is-- she'll have to move up or quit (which really bothers me. Since she
doesn't have a goal of getting to high level competition, I don't see
why there needs to be a hurry on this. But her coach doesn't see it
that way.).

DD doesn't like change, and will strongly resist. She doesn't want to go
to the pre-team, but she also doesn't want to go to 3rd grade. She also
didn't want to move to a higher class in her other gymnastics a year
ago, but was glad when she did. I think I'm going to have to insist she
try the pre-team for the summer, and then decide if she wants to
continue or quit. I'll also check out the one other rhythmic program
locally, but they also don't seem to have much of a recreational
program.

Given what we are dealing with, I'm hoping she'll decide to continue
with the rhythmic and drop the artistic gymnastics (which she is good
at, but not as good as she is with the rhythmic). This will allow her
to still have time for playdates and playing on her own, which we both
agree are important.

Liz