Old July 21st 07, 02:45 PM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.support.foster-parents,alt.dads-rights.unmoderated,alt.parenting.spanking
Dan Sullivan

Default Firing of a Division of Youth and Family Services trainee who held a lit cigarette lighter in front of a child's face...

"trinzach" wrote in message
oups.com...
O2 does not burn.

It will FEED a fire. But will NOT ignite.

You cannot 'ignite' an oxygen tank. You can make, if you direct a stream
of oxygen against a lighter, the lighter flare up somewhat, but nothing
more will happen.

This common misconception may very well have played a card in
Hermann's initial determination with the Merit System Board which
resulted in termination. Progressive discipline is a new term for
me... learn new stuff all the time... and worth exploring. I,
personally, see nothing wrong with what she did. I think her heart
was in the right place. Ultimately, she was trying to get help for
the boy AND keep the family safe.

What part does waving a lit cigarette lighter in the boy's face play in
getting help for the boy or keeping his family safe?

The 5 year old boy needed to understand how dangerous and life threatening
it is to use cigarette lighters for anything other than lighting cigarettes.

And some trainee from CPS waved a lit one in his face!

It couldn't possibly make any difference in the CPS investigation knowing
which "kind" of cigarette lighter the boy used.

Shame politics worked against her.

The court said that since the board's decision was not unreasonable or
illegal, the justices
would not interfere with it, regardless of whether they would have
reached the same conclusion.

Unfortunately, the State Supreme Court wasn't reviewing the merits of
the case, but rather the legitimacy of the Board to make decisions --
and have them be lasting ones. I fear that, albeit wonderful in
theory, such Boards are often driven politically within
organizations. The true merits are ignored and opinions tainted.
Call me jaded, but I hear nothing but lousy reviews over such tools --
they just don't work the way they're meant to. The SC focuses on the
written word and interpretations and not the misapplication.

Like assholes, I have one. LOL. My two cents.

What benefit or merit is there for CPS to know which kind of lighter was
used?