Old May 27th 04, 09:34 PM
Mary W.

Default Percentiles and weight (x-posted)

Circe wrote:

Jill wrote:
My baby will be 3 weeks old on Sunday. Time flies! Well, she
weighed 7lbs 11oz at birth and At her 1-week pediatrician
appointment, she weighed 7lbs 2 oz. The doctor said this is normal
especially for breastfed babies, to lose weight and they would like
to see her back up to her birth weight at the 2 week appointment.
On my receipt where they mark tests and diagnoses etc, I noticed
that the diagnosis section said "Small for number of weeks". And
the paper they gave me had her in the 25% percentile for size, 50%
for head circumference, and 50% for something else, I forget....I'd
have to go look. At the 2 week appointment she had only gained 4
ounces, so was 7lbs 6oz. Because of this they want me to bring her
back tomorrow just to be weighed.

I suspect that the concern is that she hadn't gotten back to her birthweight
by the two week appointment *and* her weight gain in the second week was
less than would be expected. (Newborns typically gain about an ounce per
day, thou some gain less and some gain more.) They are probably hoping that
her weight gain in the past week will be more in line with the expectations.

If I remember, my pediatrician wanted to see a 1/2 - 1 ounce gain per
day. So 4 ounces is on the low side, but still within that range.

Hopefully she'll have a nice big gain this week and put everyone at
rest.

Mary