Old May 28th 04, 01:42 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Default Percentiles and weight (x-posted)

Jill wrote:

I am just wondering if this is normal for them to have you bring your baby
in just to be weighed or if they only do it if they are watching for a
problem?

Some doctors are twitchy about weight gain. I seriously
doubt there's anything to worry about. Those who've had babies
who dropped down to the 3rd percentile or below would be amused
at fretting over a baby in the 25th percentile. Also, more
to the point is her weight gain over time. She is gaining.
She's not gaining at the most rapid rate out there, but she
is gaining. I wouldn't sweat it.

The only thing that concerns me about her is, she nurses VERY well
and has a great latch and I am not having any trouble with my milk supply or
getting her to feed every 2 hours.....but she spits up a lot. It's not a
violent, big vomit, it seems normal- it just comes out. But sometimes she
spits up a good bit. I guess she's just a spitter? I mentioned it to the dr
but she said as long as it wasn't bloody or like vomiting it was normal.

Sounds normal to me.

And one mroe question---I am surprised a 7lb 6oz baby at 2 weeks old would
be only in the 25% of others babies as far as size...that is not *that*
small of a baby. ?? It seems pretty average to me, except I know a lot of
people who have fairly large babies, 9 and 10 pounds....but I also know
people who have 6 pound babies. But at 2 weeks old is 7lbs 6oz really
considered that small?

It sounds smallish to me, but not so small I'd be
overly concerned. On the other hand, two of my babies were
bigger than that at birth, and the other almost

At this point, the only thing I'd worry about is
whether your pediatrician is overly twitchy. If she is,
exercise caution. It really sucks to have a ped who gets
anxious over every little thing.

Best wishes,
Ericka