Old May 28th 04, 06:45 AM
Carol Ann

Default Percentiles and weight (x-posted)

My baby will be 3 weeks old on Sunday. Time flies! Well, she weighed 7lbs
11oz at birth and At her 1-week pediatrician appointment, she weighed 7lbs

2
oz. The doctor said this is normal especially for breastfed babies, to

lose
weight and they would like to see her back up to her birth weight at the 2
week appointment. On my receipt where they mark tests and diagnoses etc, I
noticed that the diagnosis section said "Small for number of weeks". And

the
paper they gave me had her in the 25% percentile for size, 50% for head
circumference, and 50% for something else, I forget....I'd have to go

look.
At the 2 week appointment she had only gained 4 ounces, so was 7lbs 6oz

I can't believe it's been 3 weeks already! I wouldn't worry. Morgan was in
the 50th percentile at her 2 week checkup and yesterday at her 2 month
checkup she shot up to the 75th percentile in height and 50ish in weight (or
it could be 50ish in height and 75th in weight..can't recall).

She is 11 lbs 12 oz now. That is a 4 lbs 3 oz gain. She is also an inch
taller than her last checkup (2" taller than what the hospital says).

And one mroe question---I am surprised a 7lb 6oz baby at 2 weeks old would
be only in the 25% of others babies as far as size...that is not *that*
small of a baby. ?? It seems pretty average to me, except I know a lot of
people who have fairly large babies, 9 and 10 pounds....but I also know
people who have 6 pound babies. But at 2 weeks old is 7lbs 6oz really
considered that small?

Breastfeeding is going well and I don't think there's even a risk that I
will need to supplement, because the baby IS gaining and she is nice and
full and healthy looking. She has a good appetite and I have never had any
problems with her latch or getting her to eat. In another week or two I

plan
to start pumping so I cna get her used to taking an occasional bottle of
expressed milk.

Jill

I tried to pump last nite b/c Morgan didn't eat so much due to her fever. I
only managed to pump an oz. I have no idea what I did wrong, but it didn't
feel very good.

~Carol Ann
Mom to Morgan born 3.24.04
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeBNnDdizZNneg ---Pictures!