Old September 11th 07, 10:28 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Welches

Default prior to pregnancy -- any prep? (over 40, esp)

"Caledonia" wrote in message
oups.com...
We're thiiiiinking about trying for child #3; it's an open question,
given our respective ages, whether this will even be a possibility.
Lately I've read about women going to the dentist, the OB, the PCP et
al prior to trying to become pregnant, just wanting to be 'checked.'
Is this overkill? (I admit, sounds like overkill to me.) Did anyone
*do* this, and if so, for what reasons?

Caledonia

Personally I put off going to the dentist because it's free here once you're
pregnant and for a year after birth.
I meant to get a smear done (they're not accurate when pregnant and for
about 6 months after) but forgot.
Wouldn't bother seeing a doctor unless I had specific questions.

I did try to eat well before pregnancy and even put a bit of weight on
before #3 as with the previous pregnancies I had bad ms and lost a lot of
weight. Unfortunately for that plan I wasn't as sick with #3 and so it
wasn't necessary. :-) Best laid plans and all that...
I did take folic acid.
I did make sure that the children were at a stage where I could cope with
another bad pregnancy. (school and preschool)

Debbie