Old July 23rd 05, 02:40 AM
Moon Shyne

".'Kate" wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 16:49:52 -0500, "Moon Shyne"
the following was posted in blue dry erase
marker:

Best suggestion I can offer - join the local Y and start taking just 1
class
a week. Go one other night a week with a good book and read for 1/2 hour
or
so while you walk on a treadmill. After about 4 weeks, add another class.
The whole thing is to get your metabolism zipping along at a faster pace -
smoking kept it revved up.

And I know almost exactly where you're at - I'm 47, quit smoking 1 year
ago
tomorrow, put on about 10 pounds that I hated.... started with the 1
class
a week, now i'm up to about 4 hours per week, and drinking gallons of
bottled water - end result is that I didn't really lost the 10 pounds
(which
I probably needed to gain since I was borderline anorexic), my skin is
good,
my health is good, my stamina is great and at my last physical my doctor
said I had a runner's pulse.

Gotta start slow and reasonable - don't aim for losing 40 pounds - aim for
4.

Baby steps, just like all of life's other challenges. You got your degree
one class at a time, right? Didn't take them all in one semester?

I started back on atkins today. I know that works for me. No refined
carbs/sugar. That'll help the prediabetes too.

I was going to the gym 3x a week but ended up making my back worse than
it is. I need to be able to walk into school and to my classes. I can't
do that right now... obviously, this hasn't helped things.

I think, for right now, I'm going to concentrate on dieting until my
body feels better and then go back to the gym in a couple of months.
I've missed it. And I won't rely on my umfriend going with me so that
when he can't be there, I'm not feeling let down.

I wish my doctor was able to do more testing. It's tough for him to
guess when his hands are tied by what I can afford. This is not a good
country to live in.

Geez.. this whole issue has me so upset. First, at myself. Second, that
only one person bothered to answer when I asked for help - not even to
offer support. Thank you for being the one. I may leave the group
because it made me feel so awful today.

Please don't leave - you've been a remarkable source of sound thinking,
rational ideas, and I, for one, have found you to be a genuinely caring
person.

It's summer, it's a Friday, and there haven't been as many posts as during
the fall and winter - I don't necessarily think it's a lack of caring on the
part of the regulars (and you didn't flirt, which always seems to roll out
the most responses)

Hang in there - you have me on your ICQ if you need to talk

'Kate