Old March 8th 08, 12:24 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids
[email protected]

Default Preparing sibling for birth process?

On Mar 7, 3:22�pm, Akuvikate wrote:
We'd like to have the option of having the Bug (4.5 y/o) present at
the birth when the little dude is born. �My mother, who is very
involved in her life, would be at the hospital as the designated Bug
manager so that they can go in and out of the room as seems
appropriate. �But of course I wouldn't want to spring this on her
unawares, and am more mystified and apprehensive about how to open the
discussion with her about the (relatively) gory details of birth than
I am about actually having her there. �

My midwife had a whole lending library of videos about home births. I
know we watched a couple with the girls (who were only just four when
Peter was born). We weren't planning to have them there, but wanted
them to be prepared in case the birth happened to be really fast and
did happen with them at home. (Ha! it was a first labor, the twins
having been C-section, and took days.) I'm sorry I can't remember
titles, but http://www.homebirthvideos.com has a lot.

--Helen S.