Old January 29th 04, 08:40 AM
Mel Gamble

Default I was wrong, Bob

I recently posted that oregun's new guidelines had upped the tables so
that, even with the new "parenting time credit", dads with standard
access would see no decrease in their support...I was wrong. I finally
got a chance to play with a few numbers and found that under the new
guidelines, and in a situation looking only at support (no childcare or
insurance) and with 1 joint child and the mother having 4 non-joint
children, with both parents making $3K/month and dad having 20% of the
yearly overnights, the father's support obligation will actually be $20
LESS using the new calculator than under the old guidelines/calculator
and $80 less than with no parenting credit using the new calculator.

Caveats: Every other weekend, plus 2 weeks in the summer and half a
dozen holidays is LESS than 20% - 4 full weeks in the summer will put
you over 20%. At ANYTHING LESS than 20%....the new guideline amount is
$60 more than the old ($455 vs. $395).

Guess I was maybe HALF wrong......but why is that last day that puts it
over 20% worth $720 ($80 x 12 months)? Maybe because over the next 10
years you'll almost be able to recover the cost of the attorney that GOT
you that last day....

As for the part I wrote about screwing those of us who have no
*RECOGNIZED* parenting time... I finally got my modification results
today. From $341/month at about $17/hr income, my support is going to
drop to $218/month at minimum wage....whoopee****. Under the old
guidelines, that same drop would have resulted in an obligation of $152
- the new amount is an increase of 43%....*F*O*R*T*Y*-*T*H*R*E*E*
*F*'*I*N*G* PERCENT!!!!!! OUCH!!!!!! Always finding new ways to screw
us - the governmental Kama Sutra....

It DOES appear they've done away with the old "her income went up so my
CS went UP" problem. Using the old calculator, running her income from
the ASSumed $1221 minimum wage to $7K in roughly $1K increments, my
obligation would have gone UP from $152 to a peak of $168 at her income
equal to $4K, before it finally dropped - at her income equal to $7k and
mine at $1221 - to $146. Using the same numbers in the new calculator
takes my support steadily-but-slowly down to $156...now if I could just
get her that $7K/month job....

All-in-all, from my point of view they took a LOT away from us and gave
back a little bit....a VERY little bit.

Like I said - governmental Kama Sutra....

Mel Gamble